Tuesday, October 18, 2005
Watched the full trilogy .. LOTR. I read the book about two years ago, and I must say that the movies were not a let - down. They were as interesting as the books themselves, if not more so. The imagery was wonderful, it seemed to have been created straight from one's mind.
I had gone to see the Lord of the Rings exhibit at the Museum of Science last year, but sadly I was not able to connect it to the movies back then. I wish it would run for a second time. It would be interesting to see Narsil, or Galadriel's flowing gown :-), or catch a glimpse of boromir in the boat (I remember that quite well).
Orlando bloom looked great as Legolas, much better than the sorry figure he cut as Paris in Troy.
I'm reading prince Caspian now, the fourth book of 'Narnia'. Narnia is not as dark as our other wizarding world. I noted some striking similarities to HP.
Striking Similarity between HP & Narnia
1. The last name of the Narnian kings/queens was "Pevensie". They go to the inbeween world, which has pools to enter different lands.... Reminding me of the "Pensieve" which is an anagram of Pevensie!!!!
Similarities between LOTR & Harry Potter (This is a long list.. with spoilers)
1. In HP, Voldemort splits his soul into 7(likely) horcruxes.. In LOTR Sauron puts his soul into the One ring.
2. Character similarities:
1. Harry ====> Frodo. Frodo has to destroy the ring, Harry the horcruxes.
2. Ron =====> Sam.
3. Dumbledore =====> Gandalf. (Gandalf appears to have died but returns.. can we hope the same for dumbledore??). They are similar in appearance as well.
4. Dementors =====> Nazgul.
5. Wormtail =====> Wormtongue.
6. Both Harry's parents & frodo's parents are dead. Both of them are brought up by their uncles.
more to follow....................