Thursday, November 01, 2007

San Deigo




Last week I made yet another journey to the west coast, which I am falling in love with. California has a sweet charm of its own, so different from whats out here in the East; Laid back people, the palm trees, great weather, scenic vistas & pretty Spanish names, whats not to love? It really feels like vacationland, so much that it makes me wonder, how do people ever get work done?

This time the trip was preceded by moments of anxiety as I made my way into sunny Mexico, across the bridge to get that visa stamp on my passport. What if they needed more documentation, I kept thinking. But all was well, and a glimpse of Tijuana later, I was back in the mainland. We visited the Sea world and the other usual tourist spots spread all around the city map. I loved Old Town as well, as it reminded me of the village houses back home & I adored the mesmerizing display of craft work. The seaport village was nice too, with its paved roads and boardwalk offering a nice view of the bay bridge (not the big red one) and Coronado island. The lunches and dinners were great too, thanks to the culinary expertise of the Gaslamp's many restaurants. In short, it was great fun. It made me think about how fast time flies. To think I was in San Diego this time last week.

Diwali is coming up, and it makes me wonder what lies in store for the day. It has been four years since the last one I enjoyed with family. Why is it that we Hindus celebrate Lord Krishna killing Narakasura as our best festival of the year? Shouldn't Pongal, the harvest festival account for more? but it never did, somehow. Diwalis in India would mean a bountiful feast, lots of 'bakshanams' (ghee filled sweets and savories) , a time when you could consume the sweets before they were ceremoniously offered to Gods unlike the other festivals, firecrackers galore, TV shows, new movies, meeting friends, grandmas house in the evening with cousins... Diwali was always a happy time.

Last year's Diwali was memorable. It was Diwali, the American way. Potluck lunch, lots of variety, a day to wear traditional costumes, poker and a movie. In short, a good weekend with added surprises. Will we have half a good time this year, with all of us staying so far apart? I wonder.. and I hope and pray..

No comments: